Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Love Lucy: Evolution of Genre

Most of my favorite television shows were made before the digital era. I enjoyed shows made in the 1950's thru 1970's. One show in particular was a prime example of evolution of genre. One of my favorites, I Love Lucy. This comedy was based on how the culture was reflected in the 1950's. Although it had a formulaic setting, with the home being the primary setting, I decided to focus on how this show was a funtion of the evolution of genre. This shows primary function of entertaining showed that although Lucy didn't want to be a housewife, her place was at home. With all the mishaps that Lucy got into it was clear that the genre of women's role was to be remain at home, and by the end of an episode they made sure that Lucy knew her role and the audience. Today thats not the case, because the culture has changed there are now women working and in some cases the man stays home. But this comedy was so funny that even when Lucy stayed home she still got into all kinds of trouble. So do you think back then that women were represented equally? I think not but the shows were and still are entertaining especially with the comparisons of genres that followed the popular I Love Lucy. Take a look at this hilarious clip below:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScLNAVwmjgQ&feature=PlayList&p=C0B141992D65C691&index=6

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite older shows too, along with Happy Days, Leave it to Beaver and The Munsters. I agree that the show was purely for entertainment, but you have to take into consideration that it was very representative of the 1950's, where women stayed home and the men went to work. Today we watch the show and think how stereotypically is was, but in reality it was representing the culture at that point it time. I think that I Love Lucy is a great show and really captures the essence of the american sitcom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting how a number of recent news stories have shown that in one in five couples, the woman makes more money than the man does. Furthermore, there are now more women receiving college educations than men, and for whether that is because of the "men going off to war" idea or college is losing the male appeal appeal, it seems like the gender table is certainly shifting. I think the 2010 census is going to shed light on a lot of recent demographical trends that are going to make everyone rethink how the world operates.
    I think it's funny too how a lot of television sitcoms today portray an intelligent woman who lives with a child-like husband and has to play the role of the more responsible adult. I.E. Family Guy, The Simpsons, King of Queens, According the Jim, Home Improvement, American Dad ......

    ReplyDelete