Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

I was Watching CSI on SPIKE the other day when this commercial came on.



I'm not going to lie, at first i laughed! but after going to YouTube to watch it again i put on my media literacy hat.

-What message does this send about the treatment of animals? its sad that these people see these animals as just another way to attract hot girls. what happens to the puppies? where did they come from?

- the tag line "men don't change. Neither do we." That message elicited a little bit of annoyance, it sends the message that men have only and will only care about getting girl. it says sex and attractiveness is everything. use what ever means necessary to get the dumb emotional girls to fall for you!

- I had a hard time recalling what the product was, I found no connection between the commercial and the product!

ANY THOUGHTS?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that I almost forgot what kind of commercial this was until I watched it again. I hate to say it, but the statement can be somewhat true. I didn't get that you had to be an emotional girl to be with men in the commercial. I got that the men were trying to find the best way to attract women and that was with the puppies. Once they saw the result they didn't want to change how they attracted women. So really the commercial showed that the men didn't change. Well I enjoyed the commercial, well analyzing it at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To start with your last point. I went and saw the Robert Lachky Speech this Monday. Something he mentioned is that ads they made followed a formula. Part of that formula was to make the actions the characters made relate to the product. A lot of the ads he showed us involved people doing ridiculous things just to get a bud. That was their motive. In this ad Jim Beam doesn't factor into the actions made by these people at all. The only time you see the Jim Beam name other than the end is on the puppy stand. Which is why it is so forgettable what product is. Looking at your other questions the ad really promotes dogs as accessories, an object to get attention. While there can be little truth the the idea that dogs can garner some attention from women this could have been executed better. The idea that men never change could be clever I suppose but here we're shown as a bunch of petty liars just trying to get some action. What you said for the portrayal of women was true as well. This could be far too much thought invested into the workings of a liquor commercial, sure, but this is the image they promote and it relies heavily on stereotypes. I chuckled when I first saw this too, doesn't make me want Jim Beam though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that with the point that there was no connection between the product and the commercial. But I also saw it as a cheap dig on men, the manifest message was that they don't change, that if they find something that works they do it over and over or they tell other guys who try it. But the latent message is that men or idiots and whatever they see someone else doing and getting something out of it they feel they will get the same reaction, and the truth is life is just not that simple. What works for one may not work for others.

    ReplyDelete