Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Who was Conan O’Brien Really Targeting?




“The 18-to-34 group is so difficult to attract and the lower half, 18 to 25, is the hardest of all,” said Jack MacKenzie, the president of the millennial strategy program for the research firm Frank N. Magid Associates.

Compounding the problem, said a senior research executive for another company, was the fact that Mr. O’Brien was especially appealing to young men. “And that group doesn’t watch television very regularly,” said the executive, who asked not to be named because his business competes with NBC.

Instead of watching Mr. O’Brien most nights, Mr. MacKenzie said, those young viewers have been watching everything from similar shows like “The Colbert Report” on Comedy Central, to cartoons on the “Adult Swim” franchise on the Cartoon Network, and the ever-present array of sports and sports news on ESPN and its sister channels.

In comparison with the 719,000 viewers in the 18-to-34 group that Mr. O’Brien had been averaging, Stephen Colbert on his “Colbert Report,” in the same six- month period in 2009, averaged 746,000 viewers ages 18 to 34. The cartoons on “Adult Swim” — mostly “Family Guy” and “Robot Chicken” — averaged 619,000 of those viewers. ESPN from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m., with varied programs that included both live sports events and editions of the highlights show “Sports Center,” averaged 614,000 viewers in that group.

See the rest of the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/business/media/25conan.html?ref=television

3 comments:

  1. Yeah who was he targeting. It was not me because I rarely seen the show. I don't know but sometimes I think when a new host takes over a show they must be on point to maintain ratings.I think when you got a show that appeals to men especially the younger ones you must be able to get and maintain them. Younger men are not trying to catch their must see show as women do. Oh well now bien has millions of dollars not to worry about ratings. Gues its back to Jay Leno, in which I didn't really tune into either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fit into the 18 - 25 male demographic and I am terrible at watching shows regularly. I've enjoyed Conan for many years. I've never watched every night but definitely would keep it on if I caught it on or remembered it was on. Especially now since I don't have cable. I was disappointed that Conan's run got cut short. I think NBC missed a good opportunity to gain rating from my demographic in the long run. In the end every move of Conan's made him seem like really classy person. I'm indifferent to the tonight show but i'm still a fan of Conan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I'm obviously not in the 18-25 male demographic. But I always enjoyed watching Conan. However, I've never been a faithful follower of late night tv. I usually put the TV on Family Guy or something nerdy on National Geographic channel.

    Conan never had a fair chance at The Tonight Show. I was afraid when he switched over that he would water down his act. I never was a huge fan of Leno. But Conan - when I watched it, was hilarious (anyone with a Chuck Norris button/lever is awesome in my book!) It's a shame that his original humor didn't go over well. NBC knew what they were getting. (And hooray to Conan for maintaining his integrity) If they wanted someone like Leno, then they should've kept Leno. Which ultimately is what they got.

    I think Conan will find his place/audience. NBC just biffed that one real good.

    ReplyDelete